Monday, August 3, 2015

Return to Mantica

Yesterday I was finally able to get out to a store again and got in two games of Kings of War.  I met Michael for the first time and had fun playing against his goblins.  I had two smallish armies with me - Orcs and Undead.  We wound up playing 715 points.  In the first game I used the  orcs which consisted of regiments of axe, greataxe, and trolls, a troop of gore riders and a giant.  The goblins fielded two regiments of archers, a horde and a regiment of spears, a mincer, a regiment of  rabble, and a couple of heroes.  The game was pretty close and hinged, I believe, when late in the game the regiment of trolls fled in the face of the goblin horde.  I had a rear charge into the horde with the gore riders set up, but it was rendered moot when the trolls failed.  The goblins won this one.  I only managed to take one picture the entire evening before my camera battery died.


I used the undead in the second game.  This army was regiments of warriors, spears, revenants, mummies, two troops of archers, and a necromancer.  This game was close as well - although I had a bad feeling after one troop of archers died in turn 1 and the spearmen died in turn 2.  This game also focused on the goblin horde.  I was able to slowly but constantly whittle it down with arrows.  The mummies were finally able to eliminate the horde with some help from the very resilient revenants. Undead claimed victory in this one.

I had a great time with the games and really like this system.  It's fast and easy with little rules reference required.  We discussed some things we would like to see changed.  For me, I'd like a bit more in the magic department even though this has been expanded from the original version.  Michael had some interesting ideas for additional unit types.  Anyway, I will certainly be getting the hardcover rules later this month upon release and intend to get in a lot more games.