Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Old Corps

A few months ago I learned Sash & Saber produced ACW 28mm cadet miniatures.  There were no pictures online, but the price was right, so I figured I'd give them a try.  I ordered the command pack, which was four figures, and one infantry pack which contained ten figures uniquely posed.  When they came in I was happy to note the sculpts accurately depicted the VMI Corps of Cadets field uniforms in the Civil War period.  However, I was a bit underwhelmed by the detail of the figures.  I painted up a few and was fairly happy with them, but just set them aside with no further plans.  A short while later I learned that GMB Designs produced a VMI Corps flag.  That set me to thinking about the figures I had.  I had since gotten involved in the Old Glory discount program.  Sash and Sabre is distributed by Old Glory, so I decided to go ahead and finish the regiment as the figures could be had for 60% of retail and I could get the correct flag.  In all, I bought 3 line packs and the command pack for a total of 34 figures.  The GMB flag is wonderful, as has been everything I've gotten from them.  I'm still not thrilled with the figures individually, but I'm really happy with the overall effect and glad I decided to do it.  Hope you like the pics.

Col. (later Brig. Gen.) Scott Shipp led the Corps at New Market.  He might have still been wearing Federal blue.





In early 1861 VMI ordered blue forage caps to outfit the Corps.  It is likely at least some would have been replaced with grey by May 1864, but I like the contrast.





The Cadet Captain seems to be missing a hand.